December 16, 2012

At Least I Tried it.

I have this friend who is a pilot. Impressive, right?

But the thing is, he doesn't actually like being a pilot.

He works 100 hour weeks; he makes less money than he used to at his old job. He has a lot of downtime. He wishes he could spend more time with family and friends.

Today I asked him, "So why did you decide to do the pilot thing?" And he said, "I really like flying." He talked about how everyone is always talking about following your dreams and doing what you love for a living. He said, "Even though I don't really love this, I'm glad that I tried it. If I hadn't, I know I'd be spending the rest of my life wondering what it would have been like if I would have been a pilot, and now I know. Now someday when I'm sitting at my desk job, I'll be able to say, 'At least I know I like this better than being a pilot, and at least I tried it.' That's worth a lot."

Amen.




1 comment:

  1. i like this.
    thanks for the reminder, liz's friend.
    thanks, liz, for relaying that message.

    also, liz, thanks for being ridiculously good-looking.
    though maybe that's beside the point?

    ReplyDelete