January 19, 2012

Tourette's Syndrome

There's this really cute little guy in my parent's church congregation named Caleb. He's one of the most outgoing, friendly, good-looking young men I've ever met. Recently, he was diagnosed with Tourette's syndrome. When my dad told me about it, my heart just sank. While I've become somewhat accustomed (if you can call it that) to diagnosing people with new disorders and to taking care of people who have recently had life changing accidents and injuries, I'm not used to the diagnoses affecting people I know so well. December 25 during sacrament meeting, 12-year old Caleb passed the sacrament with his left arm shaking and multiple phonic tics while I sat there and cried.

See, the thing is, now in order for anyone to be able to see how great Caleb is (and he's pretty great), they're going to have to see him through the Tourette's. It's something that can happen, but Caleb is going to have to spend the rest of his life bringing his A game. Luckily he's got game. My dad told us a story about how Caleb got up a few weeks ago and bore his testimony. Caleb basically said, "Everyone in life has challenges. Tourette's is my challenge. I didn't want this, but I'm not going to let it beat me. Bring it on."

Caleb, You are awesome. As it says in D&C 45:62, "Great things await you." I have no doubt that you're going to rock it. All the while, you will inspire people like me and remind us that God loves us, and he can help us do whatever hard things we need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment