December 17, 2011

My Thoughts on Swimming

Went swimming yesterday for the first time since 1993. Just kidding, it's only been like a month or two, but that's not the point, the point is that I'm pretty sure swimming is the most therapeutic workout ever invented (alongside biking and yoga, of course). For me, swimming looks like staring down at the black line rocking the breathing (one for two or one for three) and keeping track of laps. When I lose track of my laps, I just drop it back down to the last number I remember while repeating the glide, power, glide, power mantra and thinking about whatever it is that needs to be settled that day. But since I am so busy gliding and powering and lapping and breathing, I can't think about anything long enough to get concerned about it. Rather, my mind settles itself into the water, and by the time I leave, I am a svelter, lither version of myself with a satisfied mind and slow, steady breathing.

3 comments:

  1. OOH...svelter..lither...exciting!
    I miss swimming. I am nervous to go back to it because it's been about 6 months. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. intriguing. no, seriously.

    i really hope i can eventually get to that point with swimming.

    it will be eventual though, as i'm at level, um, we'll say .5 :)

    ReplyDelete