October 20, 2020

2020, Musically Speaking

On October 15, Wildflowers and All the Rest by Tom Petty was released. In college, I dated a guy who loved Tom Petty with every fiber of his being (You’re  welcome for using that phrase. He would be happy that I did, I think. When he was telling me about his siblings on like our 4th date he said, “E____ loves Michael Jackson.” That was her defining characteristic. Loving Tom Petty was one of his. Probably it still is. I don’t know. I haven’t talked to him in a decade. He’s married to not me, poor guy. But I don’t think you really “grow out of” loving Tom Petty). Anyway, as a result of dating the Tom Petty fan, I listened to even more Tom Petty than I had before. Before that it had been limited to Wildflowers (introduced to me by a nice guy who gave me a ride to FHE at BYU my first week in Provo “You play the guitar?! You’ll love this album!” He said everything with exclamation points. But, like, in a good way. I don’t remember his name. Maybe Mark?), and Greatest Hits. I bought Greatest Hits after a family Thanksgiving trip to Arizona when Mary Jane’s Last Dance came on the radio and I waited in the car at the gas station or restaurant or whatever it was in Flagstaff  until the announcer said the name of the song. Shazam didn’t exist yet. Smart phones weren’t a thing yet either. I am practically elderly. After the trip, I bought the CD on half.com. Because I’m hip. 

But it turns out that Tom Petty originally wanted Wildflowers to have 25 songs on it. They told him no. Because they were crazy. But also that means that I could have a lovely October of 2020. I recommend you pick up the album. Listen to the song California. It is my life theme song currently. Cause I just moved here. 

Not only could I listen to Tom Petty, but when I was packing up my stuff to move, I found a stack of MIX CD’S!! like from 2005ish. Mostly made by myself for myself. Because that’s what we did back then. But then there were a bunch made by men I dated in my late teens and early twenties. So on my drive to California you better believe that I was enjoying some pop punk given to me by that red head guy that my friend mama set me up with. She called me: “I’m at a party with a six foot red head, and I want to give him your number.” I mean who says no to that?? Probably people who aren’t 20. But I didn’t. Because this was back when I used to write songs on the guitar. One of my songs ended with the line “all that I want is a six six redhead who will carry me to my bed when I’ve got the flu or when I feel the way I do today.” This guy turned out to be six six and a red head. And kind of goofy. But he had really great taste in music, which is really what mattered. And we went on a bike ride and to a concert. And he kissed me after a baseball game, which is exactly how one should kiss me, hello. I mean unless the Rockies just got swept by the Red Sox in the World Series because that happened a bit later and I would NOT have been happy about being kissed right then. In fact, I watched that game with a guy who afterward told me via text he didn’t think we were compatible. I’m obviously a really great person because I said “glad we’re on the same page.”  

So I have a whole stack of mix cd’s to get through. Or can we just call them mixtapes because it’s cooler? There’s even one called “Petty for Liz” from the first dude. 

Now the other delightful thing about music this year is Taylor Swift’s unexpected release of Folklore. Which I’ve been listening to over and over. Since I’m apparently waxing nostalgic for the 2000’s, remember when your iPod would keep track of your Top 25 most played? That whole album would be in my top 25 because I listen to it all the time. I miss having the ability to see how many times I had listened to a song. Although maybe now one if you will tell me a way that I can see that? Also, why did I find that number so interesting?? I still would. But why? Is it actually healthy to verify that I’ve listened to that album over 100 times? I mean, obviously yes. Because imagine how happy my soul is. 

Now, I have two last thoughts. I stumbled upon a song by Machine Gun Kelly yesterday called my ex’s best friend.  It was a pop punk song. POP PUNK. WHAT IS THIS?! 2007 again? I can only hope! But in my head I was wondering “isn’t he a rapper?” So I googled it. And yes. Apparently he’s a rapper who made an album with Travis Barker of Blink 182. While reading about MGK (That’s what the cool kids call Machine Gun Kelly. I told you, I’m hip. A guy I went out with last week told me I am “the most hipster girl he knows” even. Which means he probably doesn’t know very many girls. I buy my clothes at Old Navy for crying out loud. But still. I AM hip), I read that MGK and Eminem had a beef. Because everyone and Eminem have beef. Literally everyone. 

But you guys. Eminem’s surprise album Music To Be Murdered By came out January 17, 2020. TWENTY TWENTY. Which is scientific proof that this is the longest year of anyone’s life. But especially mine. When Eminem’s album came out I still had a job and coronavirus hadn’t even really happened to the US yet. It feels like a different lifetime. I was still dating that one guy. It was a different lifetime.  If the year is gonna be all warped, I might as well listen to Tom Petty and mixtapes in my car and celebrate every surprise album release because honestly, this year I’m just gonna take what I can get. 

1 comment:

  1. I know this like two months late but I am holding out for Adele to surprise me with a 2020 album.

    ReplyDelete