February 18, 2018

Guitar Lessons

I'm taking guitar lessons again. It's a thing that I do on and off sometimes. My guitar teacher Larry is in his 60's and is a super cool rocker who is also a clean shaven BYU professor. He's fantastic. The thing that has been really great about him is the way that he teaches by starting with the basics. That might seems like an obvious thing to do, but let me explain. Previous teachers have had me show them what I know and taught me from there. Larry did that. Then he had me start and the beginning and go through each lesson from there. Last lesson I went in telling him how I really srtruggled with tablature. I can read it but it doesn't really make sense to me-I can't process it in a way my brain understands. And he flipped to the tab page in my book. Then he went back about 20 pages to the part where you learn to play notes from the musical staff (is that what it's called? like treble and bass clef piano notes). I can play basic piano and he is teaching me literally all of the musical staff (scale?) on the guitar. 1-2 strings at a time and only in 1st position. He told me to play it for 10-12 minutes a day and that's it. Then I can work on whatever songs I'm working on for fun. 

There's something about that. Start with the basics. Go through them again. Then learn new things a little bit at a time. Practice them enough that they stick with you. Then play something fun. This is exactly the way I want to live my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment