July 18, 2017

Lone Survivor and Surviving Meditation Class

I've been listening to the audiobook Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. He talks a ton about surviving SEAL training and specifically Hell Week by just focusing on the task in front of you, taking it one task, and one day, at a time. And I mean I know that's it's like really really physically demanding to become a SEAL but I keep thinking it's totally a mental game. So last night I head to meditation class ready to get my serene on like you wouldn't believe. It's all a mental game. LITERALLY. There is literally no physical aspect of meditation. And if Marcus Luttrell can make it through SEAL training, I can certainly make it through a 45 minute meditation class no problem, right?! False! 

Because, you guys, I forgot to take my watch off. And so when the time felt like it would never end, I was like I'll just take a quick little look at the time...WHAT?! IT'S ONLY BEEN 30 MINUTES?! And it was a downhill from there. I mean I made it to the end of the class, but I might as well have been in a torture session. 

You guys! Why is the mental game so hard sometimes?! I know that's the point of meditation class, to practice the mental game, but can't it be a little easier sometimes?!

Don't worry, I'm going back to class on Wednesday. Maybe this time I won't wear a watch? How do y'all conquer the mental game? 

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried meditation I. That formal of a way - I wonder how I would do with it. Probably not great. I think I get what I need (at this point) out of journaling, going for walks and (most especially) swimming in dark cold open water alone. I sometimes see people with earbuds in during their swim and though I totoakly do that with running, swimming is different. It's meant to be silent, antisocial and all in your own head. I've talked to English Channel swimmers about what they think about. My tattooed bad ass pal Jaime said it use to be good looking women but after a health scare that changed him somewhat he now thinks of the creatures below him and tells himself that if he is a good guest in the ocean then they will be kind hosts to him. He leaves covered in jelly fish stings but never a shark attack! All that to say that I think meditation can be quite meta. As in, finding your path to meditation is meditation in itself and perhaps at times the crucial and enlightening part of the process. But then again, what would I know? I'm just a crazy girl that flirts with weird sensory deprivation like cold water swimming in the dark! Either way, love you and love your journey. You're everything.

    ReplyDelete